Frequently Asked Questions


How Much Will It Cost

Carol Delzer offers a 30 minute consultation at a discount of $75 for 30 minutes. Carol Delzer Mediator-Attorney’s hourly rate is $400 an hour. For Mediated cases there is No Retainer – clients pay as they go and documents are prepared at a flat fee.

In this environment, we usually find that we can arrive at cooperative solutions, preserving the spouses dignity and assets so that both can enjoy successful lives after divorce.

Carol Delzer Attorney-Mediator serves in a compassionate and professional manner.

Her goal is to change the way people obtain a divorce or co-parent plan. She helps people resolve conflict in a meaningful and satisfying way.

Family Law Center strives to provide service tailored to the needs of each individual and family circumstance. Contact Carol Delzer at Family Law Center Info@FamilyLawCenter.US for more information about our firm philosophy “Divorce Done Differently”.

What services does Family Law Center provide?

Family Law Center offers several client-centered options in the dissolution process, including Divorce Mediation,
Collaborative Practice, Limited Legal Services. Contact Carol Delzer at Family Law Center Info@FamilyLawCenter.US to learn more about the various options available in the dissolution process

Where is Family Law Center located?

 Family Law Center offers client-centered services virtually through Zoom Video including Divorce Mediation, Limited Legal Services. Contact Carol Delzer at Info@FamilyLawCenter.US to learn more about scheduling a Virtual Mediation appointment. 

How long does the divorce process take?

Each case is different and has different factors and circumstances which call for and receive individual attention. A separate analysis of individual issues is made and they are handled accordingly. Complex cases involving custody, property, support, pension, and difficult parties, generally take more time. With cooperation of both parties, the Family Law matter can move forward to a reasonable and pompt resolution.

The spouse initiating the proceedings is the Petitioner, and the other spouse is the “Respondent.” It makes no difference under California law which party initiates the proceedings. The Petitioner will file a Petition and the Respondent will file a Response.

Once the Petition is served on the Respondent, the six (6) month clock commences to run for the obtaining of a final decree of dissolution. While many dissolutions take longer than six months to resolve, no final decree of dissolution can be entered sooner than the six month period, and will only be entered with a full settlement agreement or agreement to bifurcate the marriage status.

The time and effort involved in a dissolution varies greatly. It depends primarily upon the circumstances of the parties, the nature and extent of the issues involved, amount and duration of child and spousal support, complexity of property issues, property characterization and valuation, property division and the level of conflict. Both parties cooperation is a very important factor.

Contact Carol Delzer at Family Law Center Info@FamilyLawCenter.US to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced Family Law attorneys.

Is the dissolution process the same for registered domestic partners?

Yes, domestic partnerships are dissolved the same way as a Marriage. The Petition for dissolution is the same for Dissolution of Marriage and Domestic Partnerships. When divorcing if a couple has both a Domestic Partnership and a Marriage it is important for them to tell the Mediator and dissolve both the marriage and Domestic Partnership in the Same Petition/Judgment.

What grounds are required for divorce?

Irreconcilable Differences are the grounds for Divorce. California is a No Fault state and the family court does not want the reason for the divorce beyond the fact that the parties have Irreconcilable Differences.

What happens when I file for divorce?

Your mediator will prepare a Petition and a Summons. These documents are filed with the superior court in the county where you or your spouse lives. You will have to pay a fee to the Court to file these papers.

There are several steps that may occur after you file, including but not limited to: temporary orders (for cases requiring immediate action after the petition or response is filed), disclosure, agreement (resolving dissolution without having to appear in court), settlement conference and trial.

Not all of the steps are a necessity in every case. For example, you may simply reach an agreement and obtain a judgment without the need for appearing in court for temporary orders, settlement conference, or trial.

Contact Carol Delzer at  Info@FamilyLawCenter.US to schedule a consultation to learn more about the steps involved in the dissolution process.

What is a legal separation?

You may have religious, insurance, tax or other reasons for wanting a legal separation instead of a dissolution. If you obtain a legal separation, you and your spouse will remain married, but the court can divide the property and issue orders relating to child custody, visitation, child support and spousal support, and, if necessary, a restraining order. A legal separation requires a mutual agreement.

Contact Carol Delzer at Info@FamilyLawCenter.US to learn more about legal separation from our experienced Family Law Mediator.

Child Custody & Support

What happens if we cannot agree on custody?

If you and the other parent are unable to agree on custody or visitation, a judge will make the decision for you. There are several steps to finalizing a custody plan. However, custody and visitation can be decided on a temporary basis if there are immediate problems. It is important too, to remember that your custody plan can be changed if it doesn’t work. If your circumstances change, you can return to court and request a change in parenting plan even if a temporary or permanent order has already been established. To learn more about child custody, Contact Carol Delzer at Family Law Center Info@FamilyLawCenter.US

Contact Carol Delzer at Family Law Center Info@FamilyLawCenter.US to learn more about our various client-centered divorce options.

What happens to our children when we separate?

You can determine what happens. The best solution for children is for the parents to reach an agreement on how they will share their children’s time. Your parenting plan can become a court order; a judge will approve a custody plan agreed upon by both parents.

Divorce is a time of great stress for the entire family. Children often become the innocent victims of this stressful experience. Children need nurturing and understanding during this time of emotional upheaval. Instead, because of their own fears and anxieties, divorcing parents usually have less emotional support available to give to their children. As a result, while struggling through this chaotic time, parents who divorce make unintentional mistakes that can be very damaging to their children.

Family Law Center attorneys are compassionate and conscientious, yet tough when a situation demands it. Contact Carol Delzer at Family Law Center Info@FamilyLawCenter.US to schedule an initial consultation Contact Carol Delzer at Family Law Center Info@FamilyLawCenter.US .

What is child support?

California has implemented statewide guidelines for child support. The law does allow parents to make agreements that are different from the Child Support Guideline, provided that there are reasonable assurances that the children’s needs will be met. Child Support can always be modified to Guideline.

Guideline support takes into account the incomes of each parent and the percentage of time that the parents spend with the children. Guideline Support does not take into account your budget. Parents generally follow the Guideline, but can also work together to find a different resolution.

Carol Delzer Attorney-Mediator at Family Law Center has the knowledge and resources, including the latest software programs, to determine the amount of Guideline Child Support the law requires.

To learn more about child support, Contact Carol Delzer at Family Law Center for a Mediation session so you and the other parent together can determine guideline child support or child support that is in the best interest of your children. Info@FamilyLawCenter.US

What is spousal support?

Spousal support is the term for alimony in California. Spousal support is money that one spouse pays to help support the other after the filing of a dissolution. To determine the amount of spousal support, there are many factors to consider identified in Family Code 4320. They include but are not limited to: the standard of living during the marriage, the length of the marriage, the age and health of each spouse, earning capacity and job histories of both individuals, and any other relevant factors.

The amount and duration of spousal support can be a complex matter. Attorneys at Family Law Center work diligently to help resolve the issue of spousal support.

Contact Carol Delzer at Family Law Center Info@FamilyLawCenter.US to schedule a consultation for more information on spousal support.

Mediation is most definitely worth your time.
We can put our experience in your court. Contact us today!