Modification of Child Support Services

Can a Child Support Order Be Changed?

Yes, there are several reasons why a child support order may need to be modified.

  • The income of one or both parents has changed.
  • One parent has lost his or her job.
  • One parent has another child from another relationship, which may result in financial hardship.
  • The original factors used to calculate child support are no longer the same.
  • The time spent with each parent may have changed.

Terminating or Modifying Child Support

As children grow, their needs vary, and you may want to modify the amount of child support to keep pace with those changes. Perhaps, your child is close to reaching the age of majority, also know as the legal age of an adult. In some states, this happens at 18; in others, the legal age is 21. If this is the case, you may want to terminate the existing child support order.

Each case is different, and it is important to mention that the change in circumstances can result in the child support amount going up or down. We highly recommended that you seek the advice of a qualified family law attorney to assist you with the modification of a child support order.

Protect Your Agreement Formally

Keep in mind that unless the family court judge signs a new court order, the existing child support amount and order will not be changed. So, to protect yourself, even if you have a verbal agreement with the other parent to change the child support amount, put the agreement in writing and have a judge sign it. That way you have a current child support order that reflects the current amount.

If you’re experiencing a financial hardship or need to modify your child support agreement for other reasons, consider mediating with Carol Delzer attorney-mediator to modify support. Carol has the experience to help parents determine Child Support. Highly-qualified experience ready to help you today.

Mediation is most definitely worth your time.
We can put our experience in your court. Contact us today!